You can say that polycarbonate sheet is the spitting image of glass because you won’t be able to tell the difference between the two with naked eyes. Although touching a polycarbonate sheet would instead feel like it is not glass, but by looks, the two appear exactly the same. You know what glass is, but do you know what polycarbonate sheet is? Polycarbonate sheets are obviously made up of polycarbonate, which is a thermoplastic and is transparent like glass. If we compare the two, meaning glass and polycarbonate sheets, then polycarbonate sheets are comparatively more tough and rigid than glass which we identify as being extremely fragile. Therefore, polycarbonate sheets have taken over glass in almost all spectrums of applications for these reasons. It is being used indoors and windows; it is being used as roofing panels, it is being used to form greenhouses, and its aesthetic appearance is something that makes it even more superior to glass. That being said, the advantages and disadvantages of using polycarbonate sheets are something essential to ponder before running to the polycarbonate sheet shop to get them because of their aesthetic glass look, better than glass durability.
- Polycarbonate sheets are fire resistant and self-extinguishing with a B1 fire rating; they won’t burn even in an open flame which makes them so much better for installing in places that require fire protection.
- Polycarbonate sheets are potentially unbreakable and are perfectly resistant to vandalism hence are vandal-proof.
- Polycarbonate sheets are a sustainable choice for the environment not just because of their long life span but also because they can be recycled and are good at resisting UV rays.
- Polycarbonate sheets are very lightweight in comparison to glass which makes it very easy to work with them in any project, thus ease in construction.
- Polycarbonate sheets are very pocket friendly, and as they are lightweight and unbreakable, so their transportation and handling cost is also very minimal as they don’t require glass-like protection.
- Polycarbonate sheets are versatile as them being flexible makes them very easy to be incorporated into any structure.
- Polycarbonate sheets can not just create a barrier for UV rays but also for sound; therefore, they can be used in areas where noise pollution needs to be cancelled out.
- Polycarbonate sheets are known for their advantages, and no doubt, the benefits they offer are beyond comparison with glass or even acrylic sheets. However, there is a disadvantage associated with polycarbonate sheets which is that they get scratched very easily; hence they are not resistant but sensitive to scratches. It won’t break at any impact; for instance, if a tree branch falls on it, it won’t break, but it will get scratches.
- The other disadvantage of polycarbonate sheets is that they have the ability to expand, which isn’t ideal for it as it is supposed to be used in areas where sunlight would be on it all the time. However, one can handle this problem by keeping in mind that per degree Celsius its degree of expansion is 0.065 mm per meter. Therefore, make sure that the holes you are making to mount your sheets are wide enough so that you can prevent its fasteners from coming out when sheets expand.