Most of us experience an awkward sensation at times or especially a few hours or minutes post-lunch, breakfast, or dinner- the burning sensation within our throat or chest. This is nothing but acid reflux or acidity. It occurs when the low esophageal sphincter can’t close completely or when the stomach’s contents reach within the esophagus. In medical terms, it is known as reflux.
What is acid reflux?
Acid reflux is referred to as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or heartburn. It occurs when stomach acid reflux within an esophagus commences from the stomach. Our stomach releases hydrochloric acid when the food we consume reaches the digestive parts. Hydrochloric acid can enhance the digestive processes to ensure the food gets digested properly.
The stomach includes an inner lining that can prevent corrosions due to hydrochloric acid. When the digestion process occurs, the stomach’s cell lining produces protective mucus in large quantities. Apart from this, The esophagus’s lining doesn’t include any resistant features; consequently, stomach acids can ruin the esophagus’s lining.
According to Ayurvedic views, the Agni or digestive fire is known to shield the body. In contrast, the ama or toxic is the major cause behind the disease. In Ayurvedic medical terms, “acidity” is an issue where there’s an additional acid secretion within the stomach. It is usually known as “Amalapitta.”
Acidity troubles usually occur due to the three major doshic imbalances that are as follows:
- It occurs due to the data’s intervention
- It occurs on account of Kapha
- It is linked to the inclusion of both doshas
What are the causes of acidity?
- Intake of coffee, tea, chocolate, onions, garlic in excessive quantities
- Intake of sour and pungent food items
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages
- Spending time under the scorching sun
- Secretion of HCL or hydrochloric acid in excessive quantities
- Emotions like anxiety, anger, or fear
- Fatty, spicy, and fried foods
- Skipping breakfast
- Excess smoking
- Drugs such as aspirin
- Hot food items
- Gastric ulcer
- Weakened valves
The best ayurvedic medicine for acidity
The best ayurvedic treatments for acidity is as follows:
- Vata type: In this case, remedies like cloves and asafoetida can offer instant relief. Ayurvedic medicines like Narayana choorna and Pachakshara choorna are recommended.
- Pitta type: here, the consumption of Amalaki is advised as it can eliminate hyperacidity from the stomach. Shatavari tablets are considered the best medicines for acidity-you can consume Shatavari tablets for up to two weeks.
- Kapha type: In this case, fasting or intermittent fasting is considered the best therapy to enhance the digestive fire. Besides, ayurvedic preparations like jeerakadyarishta and shakha vati are recommended for three weeks.
Which ayurvedic medicines are best for heartburn or acid reflux?
Have you heard about ayurvedic medicines that are highly effective in curing gas and acidity? Some of the best ayurvedic medicines that can cure heartburn or acid reflux:
- Pravala panchamrita
- Avipattikar churna
- Triphala churna
- Kamadugha rasa
- Sukumara ghrita
- Narikel lavann
- Dhaatri lauha
You can choose an array of Baidyanath products that can cure acidity.